Saturday, June 4, 2011

WHO IS THE GREATEST!

Is Muhammad Ali humble? Well, for anyone that has every heard him or seen him box the answer is probably no. But what is being humble? Is it declining that your great at something when someone asks you "how good are you"? It could be but I think humility takes on many different forms. As we know athletes struggle with being humble all the time. I hear that LeBron James hasn't been very humble in the playoffs this year but i don't know I don't get to watch him.From what we have seen with Mr. Ali here, is some great boxing but less than humble speech. Some of his quotes are my favorite, like
"I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own." or as we all have seen "I am the greatest". Sometimes we may feel that way but we defiantly don't need to go around honking our own horn. I'm not trying to put down Mr. Ali I'm just saying he isn't the best example of humility.
  However, there is at least one athlete that showed get humility while preforming and in my opinion is the greatest running back of all-time! He was an animal on the grid iron and they called him "Sweetness". Whenever he scored a touchdown he didn't spike the ball or do the funky chicken, he just simple handed the ball to the ref or set the ball down and ran off the field. In other words he acted like he had been there before. Probably one of the best examples in sports this world has ever seen. I know there are many athletes and other famous people that are humble but I chose Walter Payton because he had a lot of reasons to be cocky or full of himself  about and he chose not to be.
    I can't find who said it in the April 2011 General Conference but someone said "Humility isn't thinking less of yourself, it's thinking less about yourself". And who was it in history that set the perfect example of being humble? Oh that's right.... Jesus Christ. Think of all the things he could have been less then humble about, he was the literal Son of God, he healed the sick, he had the same power and authority of his Father in Heaven, he was resurrected from the dead after 3 days. But was he full of himself? No, he showed us how to live our lives, he taught us through example how to be humble servants of God. He was the only perfect man on the earth and he even had to humble himself to return to live with his Father. If he, being one greater than us was humble don't we too need to humble ourselves before God? The answer is yes no matter who you are it is yes. I know I'm not perfect, I have a long way to go before I'm as humble as God wants me to be but i am trying as we all should be. Follow Christ's example and humble yourself to God's will.

No comments:

Post a Comment