Thursday, May 19, 2011

How Big Do You Dream?

     With the NBA playoffs in full swing and with all the super stars showing off their mad skills, I know that basketball players of all ages are trying to be the super stars. Everyone dreams of being them, we dream of shooting like them, we dream of jumping like them, we dream of running like them. I know this is always true for me, I always dream of jumping like Vince Carter in the 2001 dunk contest, I dream of shooting the lights out in a packed stadium like Ray Allen. However, often times my dreams fall short when I am playing on a carpeted basketball court about a third of the size of an actual court. I realize that I can't do a 360 between the legs dunk and get a standing ovation, I realize that hitting 7 out of 10 three pointers in front of a couple guys is far less exciting than that of Ray Allen doing it in front of a packed house. Although I fall short of my dreams more often that not at least I dream big and continue to dream. People all over the world have different kinds of dreams, some want to be a world champion team roper or a movie star or even a kick boxer. But no matter what your dreams are and however big and out of reach they may seem, our dreams always stretch us to be better in this life. Look at the professionals of the sports world, did they achieve what they have achieved by not dreaming that they would be there someday? No, they have always had that dream in their hearts to be there and make a difference in some way.
            Although those are great goals to have in our lives there is an even greater goal. And that is the goal of living with our Father in Heaven for all of eternity with all of our loved ones. If that goal doesn't seem like a big goal then I don't know what does. However, I know this goal is attainable because of the love and the guidance through the gospel that God has shown to us in this life. This dream can be realized by following the commandments and by living what we know to be true and I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the true church. It is my dream to live with my Father in Heaven again and I will do all I can in this life to make that dream come true. But it is not only my dream that I myself live with Him again but also all my loved ones and dear friends. I need to share what I know is true so this dream can be realized for them and for me. This is an eternal dream that can easily become a reality with faith and prayer and love for your fellow man. This dream will stretch us and we need to always have it in our hearts and our minds to accomplish this dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment